Could carbon monoxide be ruining your indoor air quality?
Indoor air quality is one of the most common concerns for homeowners. When we think of indoor air quality, we tend to think of dust, pet dander, foul odors, and maybe the fumes coming from the painting we just did in the spare bedroom. But there is one important but overlooked aspect of indoor air quality that we can never take for granted. Forget to keep this toxin in check, and it could kill you! Keep reading for the symptoms of carbon monoxide problems in the home.
Carbon Monoxide Symptoms
People who have been exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide typically experience dizziness, nausea, headaches, and shortness of breath. Unfortunately, these symptoms are similar to many other conditions as well. But if you or your family feel sick at home, and then feel fine once you get out of the house for a few minutes, it’s a major warning sign that your indoor air quality is tainted with carbon monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide Signs
Check around the house for other telltale signs of a carbon monoxide problem. For instance, excess condensation on the windows is a possible sign of a carbon monoxide leak in the house. Or, if your furnace’s pilot light frequently goes out or your gas range’s flames are orange rather than blue, you need to call in a professional to examine the appliances.
If you suspect that you have a carbon monoxide leak in your home, the first steps to take are to open the windows, get all pets and people out of the house, and get your heating and cooling repair service out to your home as quickly as possible. It’s also a good idea to purchase a carbon monoxide detector to help you avoid further emergencies.